Wednesday, May 10, 2017

I will no longer be offering art commissions.

  Hey, Jammers.  Today I'd like to let you know about something.  In the past, I have offered my drawings of Animal Jam animal avatars in exchange for in-game Animal jam items.  I will no longer be offering these commissions, because it is my understanding that this is no longer allowed in the game.

  So, here's the full story.  I've been drawing Animal Jam speedpaint video art for around a year now.  Sometimes I did the art for free.  Sometimes I'd draw art for another artist, and they'd draw art for me.  And sometimes, I'd draw art for someone who would then give me an item in Animal Jam for my art- usually some sort of rare.

  I thought that this was completely okay, and thought nothing of it until Skorm was banned for selling items.  Concerned that what I was doing (making art in exchange for in-game items) may count as selling items, I contacted an Animal Jam moderator on the Daily Explorer, Animal Jam's official blog.  I asked if it was okay to continue making non-masterpiece art for in-game items, and the moderator replied, saying that the issue was exchanging items for money and that what I was doing was fine.

  So I continued offering commissions, until recently, my friend told me that they heard that Jammers were getting in trouble for making non-Masterpiece Animal Jam art in exchange for in-game items.  Concerned, I once again contacted AJHQ.  It took a while to get a response, but I finally did, and here is what it says:

Hello Jammer,

Thank you for contacting Animal Jam Headquarters.

We understand that you would like to exchange non-Masterpiece art for Animal Jam items. Unfortunately this is not allowed. Per the Animal Jam Terms of Service, we allow our users access to Animal Jam content for non-commercial use:

"11. License to Use Animal Jam Content. The information, pictures, graphics, games, and upgrades for use in Animal Jam (e.g., new levels, missions, characters, and in-game items and in-game currency, such as gems, diamonds, etc.) ("Game Items"), and other content, features and services available in Animal Jam, including content posted by users (collectively, the "Animal Jam Content") are owned by us or our suppliers or licensors and are protected by copyright and other laws throughout the world. We grant you a non-exclusive license to reproduce portions of the Animal Jam Content for the sole purpose of reviewing and using the Animal Jam Content as permitted in this TOS. We may require you to pay a fee for a non-exclusive license to use certain Animal Jam Content. You acknowledge that Animal Jam Content has no real world value, is licensed as part of, and may only be used in, Animal Jam. *Accordingly, you may not sell or transfer the Animal Jam Content and all such transfers or sales are null and void. All copyright and other proprietary notices on any Animal Jam Content must be retained on any copies. Any unauthorized reproduction or modification, distribution, or performance of any Animal Jam Content is strictly prohibited.*
You will not to copy, reproduce, republish, upload, display, post, or transmit any Animal Jam Content and will not make or distribute things where you include the Animal Jam Content. It is a violation of our rights to do this, even if you are not selling the items, but are only giving them away. The only time you can do this is if we specifically give you permission. The use of Animal Jam Content for any other purpose is a violation of our copyright and other proprietary rights.
Translation: Non-physical, digital items that you purchase for use in Animal Jam, including memberships, avatar accessories, den items, gems and diamonds are not property owned by you. As a result, you do not have the right to modify, share, transfer or sell these items."

For more information, please visit: https://www.animaljam.com/terms_of_service

The safest way to exchange your art for Animal Jam items is to create your art through our Masterpiece feature and then use the trading system in order to exchange your art for the desired Animal Jam item.



  So basically, the policy has been changed.  It's no longer allowed to make non-Masterpiece art for in-game Animal Jam items.  I told AJHQ about what I did, and they told me that what I did was no longer allowed, and that I need to stop.  Seeing as my account has not been either suspended or banned, I think that they are pardoning Jammers who made non-Masterpiece art for in-game items in the past.

  If you are currently offering anything outside of Animal Jam in exchange for in-game Animal Jam items, the best thing to do is to stop.  This applies to things such as art commissions, YouTube banner commissions, video intro commissions, and anything outside of the game that you are exchanging for in-game Animal Jam items.  So I won't be hosting AJ art contests anymore.  I won't be doing Amazing Artist Giveaways in my Animal Jam Art Gallery videos anymore.  (I don't know if that applies to this situation, but better safe than sorry).

  I've closed art trades, commissions, and requests for a few months.  Any commissions currently in my schedule will now be requests, meaning I will draw the art for free.  Please don't give me any in-game Animal Jam items for my art.  When I start to do AJ art for Jammers again, it will be art trades only.


  If you want to order art by me, click here!

  I moderate comments before they appear on the website; CLICK HERE to view the comment rules!  I love reading all your awesome comments ;)

And of course, keep drawing and have a pawsome day!


Watch all my videos at Crazcatlover AJ on YouTube!

13 comments:

  1. Kinda sad, I hope my commission thing is ok, Because I offer FREE custom made AJ masterpieces, I might ask AJHQ just in case, But I wonder if anyone else thinks it will be ok to offer a free custom masterpiece? :P :( :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masterpieces aren't a problem. They are in-game items. And doing them for free is completely fine. Doing art outside of the game for free would be fine, too. It would be fine to make in-game masterpieces in exchange for in-game items. The issue is doing something outside of Animal Jam in exchange for something inside of Animal Jam.

      Delete
  2. O by the way, did u see the instagram post I linked a while ago? If not, someone asked ajhq about commissions..
    And they said it was fine.
    I feel like people at ajhq have different ideas about what is ok and what isn't o.O

    Also, since Julian listened to you when you told him about the masterpiece loading glitch and no famous jammers are aware of this, maybe you should email him? Lots of people might be unaware if they don't have instagram or read this blog

    -Kraft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to look at the post, but since I don't have instagram, it cut off the picture in a weird way and didn't let me see it all. Also, some employees at AJHQ may not be aware of the new rule. Like I said, AJHQ has told me in the past that it is okay. The problem is that technically, items in Animal Jam is the 'intellectual property' of Animal Jam, so that would be why it isn't allowed. And why masterpieces are allowed is because it IS inside of the game.

      Heh, I already did e-mail him about this. I'm hoping that he'll make a video about it... I think I will as well, but I don't really get a lot of views so I dunno how many people would actually see my video.

      Delete
    2. *ARE the 'intellectual property'. Grammar mistakes DX*

      Delete
  3. Aw :c Well, at least AJ isn't banning people who didn't know about the change and have been doing this, that would be a mess D:

    Wait, does this mean art contest's are illegal? Because usually its in game items for usually art made by other programs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that art contests aren't allowed. I will no longer be doing AJ art contests, or at least, if I do, the prize would just be art by me.

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I just hosted an art contest. D: I can't just cancel it out of nowhere since I've already gotten an entry. What do you think I should do, Cat?
    Anyways, thank you SO much for telling us about this! I was just thinking about opening up art commissions for my art. Now, I won't. I actually did see some things regarding the new policy on Instagram, but I didn't really understand them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should close it, and explain why. You could do a drawing for the person who already entered, and hopefully they will understand.

      I just wish Animal Jam would let us Jammers know about changes in the rules INSIDE of the game instead of on Instagram, because a lot of Jammers have other social media but don't have Instagram...

      Delete
  5. Wow, that kinda stinks but I guess it makes sense... A little. :(

    Quesssstttiioooon for you, Cat! XD I honestly don't wanna be a big bother but where is the Grant/Barry masterpiece at? :D If it's not done yet, no worries. Just curious, that's all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis was drawing it because I can't draw guys for the life of me, and I don't think she's finished it. I'll ask her if she can work on it soon, but I don't know if she wants to.

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, ok. :) That's all good. I would really appreciate if your sister could draw it but if not, that's ok. :)

      Delete

I want my blog to be enjoyable for Jammers of all ages, so I moderate all comments before they are posted to the site. Comments typically get approved within a few hours. Please make sure your comments follow my guidelines so that this site can stay safe for all Jammers!

LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't include links to any non-Animal Jam related or inappropriate websites! Comments containing links to unrelated or inappropriate websites will not be approved. Please don't spam or advertise!

NO BAD WORDS!
I will never approve any comments with swear words, or any mean, inappropriate, offensive, or unsuitable language. I want my blog to be OK for all Jammers, so please keep your comments appropriate for young children!

BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind; I will not approve comments that contain bullying!

NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information, including full names or last names, addresses, e-mails, phone numbers, social media (except YouTube), etc.

Please read the complete rules for more information: http://thecrazcatblog.blogspot.com/p/blog-rules.html

Thank you for understanding, and I can't wait to read your awesome comments :D